The original caption states “From a sketch made about 50 years since” which puts this at about 1815. The view point would be close to the Theatre and shows the dome of St Philip’s Church in the background. The house number would be around 70.
Attwood and Spooner's Bank, New Street
It was founded by Isaac Spooner, Aaron Attwood and others in 1791 and collapsed in March 1865 with liabilities of around £1 million. There is no indication of its position in New Street.
The Whip Manufactory, New Street
The Manufactory is up the stairs between the shops of Cornish and Underhill. Underhill is at No 39. There is now a No 41 between Cannon Street and Needless Alley, and No 32 is at the corner of Corporation Street
Phipson's Metal Warehouse New Street
No indication of position.
Hen and Chickens Hotel
From a sketch made in about 1833. The right hand side shows the tower and two wings of the Free Grammar School. This ceased being used in 1832 and was demolished to make way for a new building for the school. There is a wall plaque now at 135A New Street which states, inter alia, that it was the site of King Edward VI School from 1552 to 1936. The Free Grammar School was its earlier name.
New Street, corner of Worcester Street
On the left hand side there can just be seen the Swan Hotel. In Fig 2 the Swan Inn is shown with what looks like an entrance off High Street. The corner shop of W Jones carries a No. 134. If that is meant to be New Street it poses a problem with the Grammar School at 135.
A View of High Street Birmingham 1812
Copied from a large print published in 1812, showing the Statue of Lord Nelson, which was unveiled on October 25th 1809.
The Nelson Hotel
From a sketch made in about 1833. In 1811 it was the Dog Inn. In 1833 it is the Nelson Hotel and in Spiceal Street.
High St & Court of Requests
Probably from a sketch around 1830.The Court of Requests was the building down the alleyway on the right, and dealt with the settlement of small debts. Here it seems to be more concerned with pale ale and stout. The shop numbering is consecutive and with a half squeezed in. The numbering is 29 to 32. The present Waterstones is 24-26, very close by.
From a sketch made in about 1833. In Fig2 it is at the junction of High Street and Castle Street and appears to be on both sides of Castle Street