The Parsonage of St Paul’s
The Act stated that Charles Colmore had to provide a plot of land 12 yards wide and 50 yards deep for a parsonage. This was elaborated on later to the effect that it had to be “a good and substantial dwelling house” with “necessary outbuildings and a walled in garden behind”. The cost was to be not less than £400 and not more than £500. Until the house was ready to be occupied the minister was to receive a yearly payment of £20, in two half yearly payments. The house had to be built within three years of the consecration. No information has been uncovered on when the parsonage was built, or how much it cost and how the trustees found the funds for it. The house was sold in 1870 and documents associated with that 38 show the plot at the corner of St Paul’s Square and Brook Street, fronting the churchyard at 12 yards wide and 50 yards deep. It was a three storey house with seven bedrooms. Rann Kennedy, the minister who succeeded Young, had built a school at the back of the site, which was by this time a warehouse. A new parsonage was bought in Handsworth in 1870.